When I first began to take the trip seriously I logged many hours researching Ethiopia and the people to try to determine if it was safe to go. I know, I know, safe is a relative term. And several people told me I'm safer where God wants me to be than I am in my own home. I know this is true because home is where I got a broken toe racing my son around the house. Most of my friends call me a germ-o-phobe, which is a little unfair, I think. I just have a healthy respect for Germ-X. Also, I'm a bit of a control freak. And, I am about 10-20 years older than most of the people going on this trip and I have skin issues being in the sun. And basically, I am a big baby.
And yet, during my research and during the trip meeting we had a few days ago, I felt excitement. And I think it was coming from God. I asked for His guidance about the trip and he took me to web sites that talked about the beauty of Ethiopia, the graciousness of the people, and the general stability of the land. Granted, it borders all kinds of crazy war-torn regions that we won't be going near. I was also afraid that there wouldn't be much a 37 year-old housewife had to offer on such a trip. Until I learned at the meeting that we would be teaching English and a vacation Bible school for street children. Well, I have an English degree and have taught VBS for many years. I was full of excitement. What's more, my daughter can't wait to go either.
And so, as we get closer to the departure date in May, I will be drawing closer to my Father. I know He alone can keep us safe and prevent a nervous break-down. I have a feeling this will be a journey for me and Anna Kate that will span much more than mere miles. Even as I acknowledge my nervosity (I did mention I have an English degree, right? That means I have a license to make up words), I also have to acknowledge my excitement and hope for this trip. For how I can serve my God by loving His children in Africa, for bonding with my daughter and sister-in-law (who is thankfully also going), and how God can teach me that even when I don't have everything under control, He always does.
This is the beginning of a whole new chapter in my life. My youngest child starts kindergarten in the Fall and before that I am going to Ethiopia. Wow. Fasten my seatbelt.

Heather
ReplyDeleteI am so excited for you! Yes you had better fasten your seat belt- because the adventure will begin soon and I promise you will never be the same. It is life changing. I am excited about you and Anna Kate getting to spend some time together as well. It will be a "marker" in her life- I pray. I am also so proud of you for saying here is what I could have said because of this " " there is no way I am going but you didn't. You are going and trusting our amazing God. When those fears crop up keep reminding yourself that the safest place to be is in the cener of God's will! I love you and I am excited for you!
Tara
Praise God for your obedience to HIM! I love how your husband read the announcement and saw it as a calling for YOU! It is going to be fun reading about your adventures because you do have a way with words. You will help people see what it means to follow Christ - - even out of your comfort zone as well as helping spread HIS love by
ReplyDelete1. ministering to HIS people and
2. making others aware of the needs they might be able to meet.
LOVE you and will keep you in prayer.
Lynda
Why are you worried about Ethiopia? You have 4 years of experience in the spelling bee. What is a trip to Africa compared to that?
ReplyDeleteKenli and I were thrilled when we saw your names on the definite list...yipee. Kenli is making plans for Anna Kate (she thinks she is the cruise director)...Ethiopia is a beautiful country and the needs are everywhere you look ...God wants to use this trip to help mold you and AK into the vessels that will help fulfill His plans...can't wait to see you guys....
ReplyDeleteSo thriled to see that you and Anna Kate are going on the mission trip! I'll be following you here and will be praying!!
ReplyDelete